We’ve grouped these methods into four phases
- Discover: Learn as much as you can about the project and people involved.
- Decide: Use what you’ve learned to start focusing your research on specific areas and groups of people.
- Make: Move toward a final product that’s ready to be released and tested.
- Validate: Test your research, design, and product.
We’ve called out specifics about doing this work in government
For the most part, the processes are the same as anywhere. However, to stay on the happy side of the law, take a look at Recruiting, Incentives, and Privacy. No matter which methods we work with, these are the fundamentals of our design research.
Print your own card deck of these design methods
- We've edited a few cards in the decide section to make them easier to understand. February 2017
- We've edited a few cards in the discovery section to make them easier to understand. January 2017
- We've added new links to examples of how we have used these methods at 18F. December 2016